5 Great Scotch Whiskies For Under $40Edit Post
Contributed by on Oct 15, 2014
Three readers love this post.
Scotch is certainly the king amongst whiskey types for many around the world, but one problem buyers often have is that much of it is very expensive, often to the tune of hundreds or thousands of dollars a bottle. If you search carefully, however, you can find some very quality bottlings for under $40 at some retailers which are worthy of your liquor shelf. Here are five for you to consider as you shop around.
- Isle of Jura Superstition – The Isle of Jura distillery offers, through this whisky, a tasty expression that’s lightly peated with hints of smoke. It contains liquor up to 21 years of age within, and presents nicely in its rather beautiful bottle design. Superstition clocks in at 43% ABV and, Isle of Jura says, pairs well with the likes of smoked salmon or salted chocolate.
- Macallan 10 Year Old Fine Oak – Everyone loves The Macallan whiskies, so much so they often command a premium price. Not so with the reasonable 10 year old, aged for a decade in a combination of ex-bourbon and sherry casks. The distillery has positioned this as an entry level offering in its portfolio, even daring to suggest this oaky and fruity expression might work well in a cocktail.
- Monkey Shoulder – For fans of blended malt Scotch wanting a budget dram to consider, you might find this so-called “triple malt” expression drawn from three Speyside distilleries (Glenfiddich, Balvanie and Kininvie) to your liking. The chosen malts mature in first fill, ex-bourbon casks, resulting in a rather unique whisky that’s super smooth and finishes with some nice vanilla notes.
- Glenmorangie 10 Year Old The Original – Glenmorangie, operational since 1843, is one of the best selling single malts in all of Scotland. Its budget entry expression is its 10 year old bottling, known to lovers of this distillery as The Original. It is an elegant, floral creature, having rested for a decade in ex-bourbon barrels. Expect this one to offer you hints of peach and orange on the finish.
- Glenfiddich 12 Year Old – Glenfiddich takes pride in the fact it is one of the world’s most awarded whiskies. To introduce drinkers to its highly regarded range it offers a 12 year old expression bearing on its bottle the distillery’s signature stag symbol. It was matured in a combination of ex-sherry and ex-bourbon casks, resulting in a golden colored Scotch that offers hints of butterscotch and oak on the palate.
image via Justin Isaac/Flickr