5 St Patrick's Day Cocktails to Help You Steer Clear of Green Beer
From Eric Rogell on Mar 05, 2013
This post appears in the St. Patrick's Day roundup.
While most St. Patrick's traditions are fun and perfectly acceptable, there is one that should be avoided at all costs: Drinking green beer. Not that green tinted beer is bad, there's just something disrespectful about it. Like putting Santa in a green suit or giving Kate Upton green hair.
So if your local pub is serving nothing but emerald-hued brew this St. Patty's Day, turn to one of these Irish inspired cocktails instead. And while you'd think whiskey would be the go to spirit, these 5 feature everything from rum to vodka to chartreuse. Lucky for all of us.
Basil Hayden’s Irish Julep
2 parts Basil Hayden’s Bourbon
½ part DeKuyper Green Crème de Menthe
1 part Half and Half
1. Shake all ingredients well with ice.
2. Strain over crushed ice into a highball glass.
3. Garnish with a mint sprig.
Recipeby Julie Reiner – New York, NY
2 Parts Basil Hayden’s Bourbon
½ Part Green Chartreuse
½ Part Lemon Juice
½ Part Grapefruit Juice
½ Part Agave Simple Syrup* (To make, combine equal parts of water with Agave Syrup)
¼ Part Egg White
1. Combine all ingredients in a mixing tin and shake without ice to blend.
2. Add ice and shake.
3. Strain over fresh ice in a double rocks glass and garnish with a mint sprig and a lemon wheel.
CruzanPot of Gold
1 1/2 parts Cruzan 9 Spiced Rum
3/4 part DeKuyper Orange Curacao
3/4 part Fresh Orange Juice
2 parts Fresh Lemon Sour
1. Combine all ingredients in a mixing tin and shake with ice.
2. Strain into a cinnamon and sugar-rimmed cocktail glass.
3. Garnish with a flamed orange peel.
3 parts Kilbeggan Irish Whiskey
2 parts Sweet Vermouth
1½ parts Cherry Syrup
1½ parts Cranberry Juice
Dash Simple Syrup (optional)
1. Combine all ingredients into a shaker with ice and shake for 60 seconds.
2. Strain neat into a martini glass.
3. Garnish with a black cherry.
EFFEN Cucumber Irish Minty Kiss
1 ½ parts EFFEN Cucumber Vodka
1 part Lemon Juice
1 part Simple Syrup
10 Mint Leaves
1. Blend all ingredients with ice.
2. Serve in a rocks glass.
3. Garnish with a mintspring.