Add Fernet-Branca to your Thanksgiving MenuEdit Post
Contributed by on Nov 13, 2019
Three readers love this post.
After the annual Thanksgiving dinner marathon, even the strongest among us are likely to feel each of those 26.2 courses. When you cross the finish line, you’ll need none other than Fernet-Branca.
Fernet-Branca’s blend of 27 herbs and spices may be a closely guarded Branca family secret passed down from father to son, guaranteeing the protection of the quality that still makes it the digestive bitter liqueur par excellence, however it is no secret that the liqueur aids digestion. In fact, Fernet-Branca was specially formulated to assist with digestion, utilizing such calming herbs as chamomile, peppermint, and saffron, as it was invented as a remedy for issues associated with 19th-century disease epidemics in Milan.
Regardless of whether you’re hosting or attending Thanksgiving, Fernet-Branca is clearly a must. So, do the selfless thing, help loved ones banish their post-feast regret, and make sure to have Fernet-Branca at Thanksgiving, along with a few other spirits for an array of festive cocktails!
FERNET-BRANCA ($27.99) Everyone’s favorite Italian amaro with a rich history as the world’s most popular digestive, made with over 40 herbs and spices, that to this day is a closely guarded family secret!
STRIKE THE GOLD ~ Created by Nick Hogan, Odd Birds Bar
- 3/4 oz Fernet-Branca
- 3/4 oz Templeton Rye
- 1/4 oz of Creme Yvette
- Top with Brancamenta
- Whipped Cream
- 1 1/2 oz Spiced Pumpkin Syrup
- Whole Egg
- Grated Nutmeg
- Garnish with Star Anise
METHOD: Add all ingredients into the tin, shake, strain into a cocktail glass, top with whipped cream, grate fresh nutmeg over top, sip slowly and enjoy! Due to different variables between coconut milk and pumpkin purées that when making the cocktail it should be done to taste
- Spiced Pumpkin Syrup: One can organic Pumpkin. One can of organic coconut milk. 1/2 cup of brown sugar. 3/4 oz of pimento liqueur (allspice liqueur). Simmer in a saucepan for 10 minutes, let cool then strain through cheesecloth
- Brancamenta Whipped Cream: Combine half a pint of heavy whipping cream with 1 oz of Brancamenta and 2 oz of simple syrup into iSi whipper, charge and store in the refrigerator until ready for use.
- ½ part Fernet-Branca
- 1½ parts Gin
- 1 part yellow chartreuse
- ¾ part lime juice
- ½ part demerara syrup
- 2 dashes orange bitter
METHOD: Combine all ingredients except Fernet-Branca in a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake vigorously and strain into a rocks glass with crushed ice. Float Fernet-Branca on top and garnish with mint sprigs and powdered sugar.
WOODFORD RESERVE APPLE CIDER
- 2 ounces Woodford Reserve
- 4 ounces hot fresh apple cider
- 1-ounce brown sugar syrup (For the syrup: Combine equal parts water and brown sugar. Bring to a boil until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and let cool.)
JALAPEÑO CRANBERRY MARGARITA
- 2 oz Tanteo Jalapeño Tequila
- 1 oz Fresh Lime Juice
- 1 oz Agave Nectar
- 2 oz Fresh (no sugar added)
- Cranberry Juice
METHOD: Combine ingredients in a shaker with ice. Shake well and strain into an ice-filled Rocks Glass. Garnish with a cranberry skewer
STARWARD AND APPLE
- 1 oz. Starward Two-Fold Australian Whisky
- 3.5 oz. Sparkling Apple Juice or Cider
- Apple Fan garnish
Method: In a highball glass, add whiskey over ice. Top with sparkling apple juice and garnish.
CRANBERRY SPRITZ ~ Created by Beautiful Booze
- 2 oz Seagram’s Original Vodka
- 2 ounces of cranberry juice top with soda water
METHOD: Fill a wine glass with ice. Add Seagram’s American Label and cranberry juice. Stir then top with soda water
A PROPER COFFEE ~ Created by Sonny Verdini, Bar Manager, TRADE (Boston, MA) / Photo credit: Amanda Lewis
- 2 oz Proper No. Twelve Irish Whiskey
- 1.5oz Boston Harbor Coffee Liqueur
- 1oz Mandarine Napoleon
METHOD: Shake/Strain into a Nick and Nora glass. Garnish with hand-whipped cream and coffee beans.