Apple Cider MargaritaEdit Post
Contributed by on Oct 09, 2015
Two readers love this post.
There was a time not too long ago, well probably 5 years ago, when I never EVER made a margarita outside of summer. Something about that combination of fresh citrus and tequila simply screamed warm weather to me and I stuck with that mantra for many years. What changed? I started to experiment with more than my standard. Don’t get me wrong, I think this Margarita is simply the best ever; hands down, but that hasn’t meant that I haven’t found some really, I mean REALLY tasting versions along the way. No longer subject to just summer, now it’s fun to create something using seasonal produce and today it’s all about the apple.
Summer means blackberries and strawberries and peaches, winter can go the route of cranberry and pomegranate and now in fall I’m heading towards two of my favorite fruits; apples and pears. Yes, I’ve been in an apple state of mind lately and it’s the perfect star of this Apple Cider Margarita. With all of the varieties now available, cooking and baking and margarita making is so much more interesting!
I had a bottle of apple cider in the fridge from Martinelli and it was perfect for this margarita. I normally like to either make my own cider or buy unfiltered (much like OJ with pulp, I like it with some body) but I love how this turned out; crystal clear and refreshing with flavors of ginger and cinnamon to boot. Really an excellent fall tipple (that word is simply not used enough!).
I made a cocktail yesterday for a post I’m doing for Hornitos next week; a very Halloween cocktail and time got away from me so no word went out to my neighbors who so gallantly suffer through helping me not waste my efforts. Those two cocktails are in the freezer. That explains why I’m making cocktails Friday morning to post today and again, no time to sip with a conference call in a few minutes. Soooooo…..seems I have a mini party in my fridge just waiting for the right moment. I’m thinking I could wait until 5pm tonight; who’s coming over?
- Cinnamon sugar
- 6 ounces apple cider
- 4 ounces Hornitos Black Barrel Tequila
- 1 ounce Ginger Simple Syrup (I have a bottle from World Market but you can make your own by combining ½ cup water, ½ cut sugar and a thumb size of ginger grated in a saucepan. Bring to boil until sugar dissolves and let sit until completely cool. Strain and discard ginger)
- 1 ounce Orange Liqueur
- Apple Slice for Garnish
- Sprinkle the cinnamon and sugar on a shallow plate.
- Dip the edge of glasses into apple cider and then dip into the cinnamon sugar to rim the edges of the glass. Fill the glasses with ice.
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice and add the apple cider, tequila, ginger simple syrup and orange liqueur. Shake until chilled. Strain into ice filled glasses.
- Garnish with an apple slice.
- What a gorgeous bevvie! Sounds perfectly autumnal and so crisp. ... by Anna @annaDishes
- By: Maureen | Orgasmic Chef by Maureen | Orgasmic Chef
- I'm always on the lookout to try new Margaritas- this looks ... by Fran @ G'day Souffle'
- I'll have a Margarita any old time! In fact we're probably ... by John@Kitchen Riffs
- By: Ally's Sweet & Savory Eats by Ally's Sweet & Savory Eats
- Love that you have a mini party in your fridge! Great way to ... by Marlynn @ UrbanBlissLife