Fads come and go and I’m not usually one to jump on board, but some fads turn into something else; they become a part of the social fabric and eventually lose the ‘fad’ status. Salted Caramel is one of those. I remember as if it were yesterday when my youngest daughter was in high school and we stopped by a Starbucks where I ordered my standard Americano and she spied a drink call a ‘Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate’ and had to have one. It was so good I dumped my Americano and ordered one for myself, albeit with a shot of espresso. Years later, it's a love that has never ended. While I considered the easiest cocktail would be to simply pour a shot or two over ice I have to admit that this Baileys Salted Caramel and Espresso Martini was worth the extra bit of effort and is an homage of sorts to that first experience those many years ago. With the chocolate and pretzel rim it is both fun and delicious.
I’ve long been such a big fan of Baileys; it’s one of my favorite dessert liqueurs. Rich and decadent all by itself, adding a touch of salted caramel to this creamy concoction was all good. Adding a bit of rum and espresso? Well, ‘over the top’ comes to mind.
My schedule has been crazy lately and I was off yesterday so I just finished this cocktail and the photos a little bit ago. It is taking all the resolve I have to not down one midday but I’m being good and will patiently wait until a more appropriate time; as in AFTER I finish the post. Hey…my 3pm is someone else 5pm and doesn’t the saying “It’s 5 O’Clock somewhere” apply in this situation? I thought so too!
I’ll be honest, I’m not the biggest pretzel fan so this was a leap of faith but I thought the pretzels a much better option than potato chips; offering a heftier crunch and a bit less salt. Maybe this is the application I needed to become a pretzel fan; they are sort of amazing with chocolate. Why didn’t someone tell me?!! Combined with the flavor of rum and a nudge from espresso, this cocktail seems to be the perfect combination to finish off a fantastic meal or evening. It’s indulgent; sweet and sophisticated all rolled into one and so I recommend sharing it with one you love, with stars you wish you could love or maybe make one for the most important person to love…YOU! If you love Salted Caramel like I do? That’s love enough!
- 2.5 oz Baileys Irish Cream, Salted Caramel flavor
- 2 oz Zacapa Rum 23
- 4 oz Chilled Espresso
- 1 cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- Crushed Pretzels for Garnish
- Place chocolate chips in a metal mixing bowl.
- Fill a medium saucepan with water and bring a boil.
- Hold the bowl of chocolate chips over the saucepan and slowly stir chocolate until melted.
- Once melted, place the rim of a martini glass in the chocolate and dust with crushed pretzels. Place glass to the side.
- Combine Baileys Salted Caramel, Zacapa Rum 23 and chilled espresso in a cocktail shaker with ice and shake until thoroughly chilled.
- Strain contents into garnished martini glass.