Beverly Hills: Lunch at Jean-Georges with Gerard Bertrand WinesEdit Post
Contributed by on Mar 01, 2018
Eighteen readers love this post.
Gerard Bertrand white wines
Gerard Bertrand red wines
We started our masterclass with three whites and also tried 9 reds.
- Chateau de Villemajou Grand Vin – AOP Corbieres 2016
- Chateau La Sauvageonne Grand Vin – AOP Coteaux du Languedoc 2016 – I liked this one
- Aigle Royal – AOP Limoux 2016 – I really enjoyed this one and said it was getting better and better as we tried the three whites
- Aigle Royal Pinot Noir – IGP Haute Valle de l’Aude 2015
- Chateau de La Soujeole Grand Vin 0 AOP Malepere 2015
- Cigalus – IGP Aude Hauterive 2015 – I enjoyed this one
- Chateau La Sauvageonne Grand Vin – AOP Coteaux du Languedoc Terrasses du Larzac 2015
- Chateau L’Hospitalet Grand Vin – AOP La Clape 2015
- Chateau de Villemajou Grand Vin – AOP Corbieres Boutenac 2015 – I liked this one
- La Forge – AOP Corbieres Boutenac 2015
- Le Viala – AOP Minervois La Liviniere 2015 – this one was wonderful
- L’Hospitalitas – AOP La Clape 2015
It was fascinating to hear Gerard Bertrand speak and talk about all the different wineries he owns. What is so interesting is he practices biodynamic wine making. He has written a memoir called, “Wine, Moon and Stars” which details the practice as well his life story.
It was really interesting to look on the map and hear about the various grapes in the varietals. I learned about a grape varietal I hadn’t heard about before; mourvedre. I later learned that some regions require specific grapes of the wine makers and so they sometimes blend very little of those grapes into their wines. That’s why you might never see a 100% mourvedre wine.
Gerard Bertrand wine luncheon
For the luncheon, we had a cool vertical tastings of Cigalus and Clos d’Ora.
- La Villa Chateau La Sauvageonne – AOP Languedoc 2016
- Cigalus – IGP Aude Hauterive 2009
- Cigalus – IGP Aude Haterive 2012
- Cigalus – IGP Aude Hauterive 2016
- Clos d’Ora – AOP Minervois- La Liviniere 2012
- Clos d’Ora – AOP Minervois – La Liviniere 2013 – this one of my favorite of the Clos d’Oras
- Clos d’Ora – AOP Minervois – La Liviniere 2014
- Clos d’Ora – AOP Minervois – La Liviniere 2015
tuna spring roll, soy bean puree
For our starter, we had the tuna spring roll with soy bean puree. This is a classic Jean-Georges dish. We also had a choice of cremant before the luncheon (not shown). I opted for the Code Rouge – AOP Cremant de Limoux. It’s a tribute to the monks of the Saint Hilaire Abbey near Limoux who made the world’s first sparkling wine.
I felt the kampachi carpaccio with green chile-lime juice was a little bit too tart. It was very prettily garnished with puffed rice and cilantro. Luckily the wine helped mellow out the citrus.
grilled beef tenderloin
The grilled beef tenderloin however was perfect with the cherry mustard and crunchy potatoes. The light bodied reds were really great for both the hour (lunch time) and the beef.
warm chocolate cake
And for dessert we had the warm chocolate cake which was a sweet end to our spectacular Gerard Bertrand wine master class and tasting.
Now I want to learn more about biodynamic wines.
© 2018 The Minty