Celebrating Five Years of Big BarEdit Post
Contributed by on Oct 05, 2015
Zero readers love this post.
I’m not gonna lie, I love the Alcove. The big patio with the grass growing between the brick & the mismatched garden seating just screams Southern California and reminds me that we have better weather than, well, anyone. And tucked in the corner of this magical garden is Big Bar. An only slightly ironic name for a widdle bar with a big heart.
Well this neighborhood gem celebrates 5 years of serving their community with good cheer & delicious drinks. Last week kicked off 5 Thursdays in October, where Big Bar will be celebrating 5 years, over 5 weeks with a number of fun events bringing back past bartenders, past bar managers, and past drinks that the community voted on as their favorites.
Big Bar Launches its Throwback Menu.
Featuring such favorites as:
- Thorn in My Side (above) – Big Bar’s most popular cocktail ever, which will be garnished with your photo, if you sit at the bar.
- Boo Radler – one of my favorites! A refreshing riff on an Americano made with Stiegl Radler, bitter & refreshing.
- Shakespeare Bridge – a champagne cocktail with a touch of pear.
- Dan’s Treehouse – Tiki ala Dan, with a secret blend of rums.
- St Anne’s Helper – one of the many tasty Manhattan riffs over the years.
- Most Interesting Cocktail – mezcal, lime, cinnamon, cayenne & chocolate chili bitters… must try.
- Cynar Sour – just yes.
Spin the wheel-o-cocktails and see where it lands. Leave your drink to chance with a wheel filled with Big Bar Favorites (on-menu and off-menu) with a bevy of guest bartenders of Big Bar Past making their way behind the stick to ring in 5 years of Big Bar.
Big Bar will also be releasing a barrel aged version of a Big Bar favorite – the Ponte Vecchio – an old fashioned variation with rye, Galliano L’Authentico, and Miracle Mile Forbidden Bitters.
OCT 15th & OCT 22nd
Two nights of “Too Many Bartenders” featuring bartenders who have all had a part in Big Bar’s history. A veritable whos-who of LA Bartenders — 4 bartenders per evening including: Karen Grill (Sassafrass Saloon), Alex Strauss (EP/LP), Cari Hah (Clifton’s Cafeteria), Chris Day (General Lee’s), Aaron Melendrez (Normandie Club), & Genie Gore (Melrose Umbrella).
Big Bar Mixtapes Past
LT (Eugene Lee & Chris Day)
RT (Flo Hartigan, Eugene Lee, Cari Hah)
A spooky pre-Halloween Thursday with Randy Tarlow (Liquid Alchemist) & Alex Goode (Mt. Gay Rum) called “All My Friends are Dead” which should prove to be a ghoulish affair.
Big Drinks with Randy Tarlow
Photo by: Eugene Lee
Hope to see you there!
Post courtesy of: Way of the Wong : Way of the Wong - city secrets from an urban ninja
Follow us @wayofthewong