Holy Guacamole! National Guacamole Day is September 16th and it's the ideal day to indulge in this green super food...the avocado! It's the holiday some of us wait for all year long so that we can show our true (green) colors with a great reason. If you thought Labor Day was the only fun holiday in September, think again! This amazing fresh fruit deserves to be celebrated as it's one fruit that has an unappealing outward appearance yet the inside is something we crave in our favorite dip...guacamole!
Everyone considers guacamole the ultimate party snack but of course, there's is so much more to it than some realize. Avocados, the main ingredient in guacamole, is packed full with over twenty vitamins! Avocados can also be used as a substitute for butter in some baking recipes, they contain "good fats" that help to reduce cholesterol and are known to help fight cancer. Wow!
As you prepare to celebrate the dip of all dips, let's indulge in a few fun and interesting facts about the avocado and guacamole!
- Avocados have been cultivated for more than 10,000 years
- Avocados pack even more potassium than a banana
- Nearly 105 million pounds of avocados were consumed during the 2014 Super Bowl
- Grammy winner Jason Mraz has an avocado farm that supplies to Chipotle
- The largest serving of guacamole weighed 2,669.24 pounds and was achieved by the Municipality of Tancitaro Michoacan in Tancitaro, Mexico in 2013
- Although thought of as a vegetable, avocados are actually a fruit and considered to be a berry
So, get your green on for National Guacamole Day with Sauza Tequila
and give thanks to this delightfully, delicious, good for you super food with a "Good to be Green" avocado cocktail and a side of mouth watering Artichoke Guacamole with Toasted Pine Nuts! Bring on the guac!
Good to be Green
- 1 1/2 parts Sauza Signature Blue Silver 100% Agave Tequila
- 2 parts limeade concentrate
- 1/2 parts triple sec
- 1/2 ripe avocado, chopped
- 1/2 cups ice
- Avocado slice for garnish
Preparation: Blend all ingredients in a blender until smooth. Serve in a salt rimmed glass. Add an avocado for garnish. Enjoy!
Artichoke Guacamole with Toasted Pine Nuts
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped cilantro leaves
- 2 tsp finely chopped white onion
- 2 tsp minced jalapeno or Serrano chilies (Optional: remove seeds and membranes)
- 1/2 tsp teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 large ripe avocados, peeled and seeded
- 1 small plum tomato, cored, seeded, and finely chopped
- 2 tsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 cup marinated artichoke hearts, chopped
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- In a medium size bowl, use the back of a spoon to mash 1 tablespoon of the cilantro, 1 teaspoon onionm 1 teaspoon of minced chili, and 1/2 teaspoon salt together against the bottom of the bowl
- Add the avocados and gently mash them with a fork until chuncky smooth
- Add 1 cup of marinated artichoke hearts chopped with 1/4 cup of toasted pine nuts and stir
- Fold the remaining cilantro, onion and chili into the mixture
- Stir in tomatoes and lime juice, taste to adjust the seasoning
- Serve with warm corn tortilla chips
*Makes 4 servings
I love discovering new cocktail recipes and my favorites are from Skinnygirl, Sauza and Hornitos!
Links: See Melissa M.'s Profile, Visit Melissa M.'s Site
Blogger, Freelance Writer, Social Media Junkie and Mom. I love featuring cocktail recipes on my sites!