Cocktails To Soothe The Post-Thanksgiving BluesEdit Post
Contributed by on Nov 16, 2018
Five readers love this post.
Thanksgiving is right around the corner which means you might be running into some uncomfortable dinner conversations with the family or just simply overindulging till your belly is so stuffed you have to unzip your pants at the dinner table! To prevent any stomach aches and pains try planning out your post-Thanksgiving dinner cocktails to help settle your stomach!
Fernet-Branca is one way to beat any tummy aches and pains from overeating! Fernet-Branca’s blend of 27 herbs and spices may be a closely guarded family secret, but it is no secret that the liqueur aids digestion after a most indulgent meal. In fact, Fernet-Branca was specifically formulated to assist with digestion, utilizing such calming herbs as chamomile, peppermint, and saffron, as it was invented as a remedy for issues associated with 19th-century disease epidemics in Milan.
Slow & Low Rock and Rye’s “Bake & Wake” cocktail created by Sandi Hein at Hooch and Hive is a CBD cocktail that will definitely help when tensions rise or if you simply have a stomach ache! CBD is non-psychoactive, so it won’t get you high in front of the family and friends and is known to help with inflammation of all kinds. From headaches from dizzying conversations with your elders or just overeating sometimes a CBD cocktail does the trick to end the evening on a mellow note.
Mezcal is also another way to fight off any overly indulgent evenings. Unlike Tequila, Mezcal has to be made with 100% agave which has a low glycemic index and will allow you to continue drinking without getting a crazy hangover! Plus the smoky aftertaste weirdly pairs well with turkey!
When in doubt, sometimes a stiff drink does the trick! Woodford Reserve’s Old Fashioned is the perfect cocktail to end the evening, Woodford Reserve’s 212 flavor profiles are sure to pair well with all Thanksgiving fare from Turkey to Sweet Potato Casserole! Back in the 1800’s local Louisville-based farmers used to wake up and drink bourbon to relieve their headaches and pains from working fields. When in doubt settle the tummy and mind with some bourbon!
Bartender: Sarah Berman (Drift Fish House & Oyster Bar, 4475 Roswell Rd., Uppr
Marietta, GA 30062)
- 1.5 oz. Templeton Rye
- .5 oz. Punt e Mes
- .5 oz. Cointreau
- .25 oz. Fernet-Branca
- INSTRUCTIONS: Stir and pour in a coupe glass, garnish with orange peel and clothespin.
Bake and Wake Recipe
Created by Sandi Hein at Hooch and Hive
- 1.5 oz Slow & Low
- .5 oz Magdala Orange Liqueur
- 1 oz espresso
- 1 drop of Hemp CBD oil
- Almond Milk Foam
- Why it pairs with Thanksgiving Fare: Thanksgiving can be a stressful time of year and sometimes we quite frankly need to take the edge off the family drama and overeating. To make you feel mellowed out, try the “Bake & Wake” cocktail created by Sandi Hein at Hooch and Hive in Tampa, FL. This CBD cocktail will not only help mellow you out, but the subtle notes of orange, honey, and almond coupled with the espresso make for an amazing after dinner drink perfect for pairing with pumpkin & pecan pies!
- 2 oz. Woodford Reserve
- 1/2 oz. Demerara Syrup
- 3 Dashes Angostura Bitters
- 2 Dashes Regan’s Orange Bitters
- INSTRUCTIONS: Add ingredients to the mixing glass. Add ice to mixing glass and serving glass. Stir ingredients for 30-40 secs. Strain into serving glass. Garnish with a lightly expressed orange peel.
Created by Eryn Reece at BANZARBAR in NYC
*Also the first iconic Mezcal cocktail!
- 2 oz Peloton de la Muerte Mezcal
- ¾ oz Sweet Vermouth
- ¼ coffee liqueur
- Garnish with an orange wedge