Y’all, it’s JULY and hot and swampy as hell up in this piece. I know that Tiki doesn’t really have a season (Tiki The Snow Away, duh) but if there was ever a time for a tall, icy, Tropical Cocktail, that time is now!
The inspiration for today’s Swizzle was this tasty bottle of brand-new-soon-to-be-released Berentzen Peach Liqueur. Berentzen were actually the first brand to send me products and I have loved them ever since cause QUALITY. All of their liqueurs are crisp, clean, bright, and come through very well in cocktails without being overly cloying.
The Peach is great! It’s Peachy with lemon and floral notes and not too intense or overwhelming. 20% ABV
Cast of Characters:
- Peach Madness: Berentzen Peach + Bitter Truth Peach Bitters. Berentzen also sent me The Bitter Truth Peach Bitters and they’re really great too! Not too bitter, more like essence of peach. I decided to throw a couple of dashes in the drink to increase the “peachness”.
- Rum: I really wanted to make the sweet Peach flavor work with aged Rum, so I picked Denizen Merchant’s Reserve 'cause it’s dry, funky, grassy and just really lovely.
- Juices: I was debating between Lemon or Lime and asked some cocktail friends. One them replied, “Why not both?” Yeah dude, good call!
- Sugar & Spice: To give this Swizzle a lil pop I added, St. Elizabeth Allspice Dram, Demerara Simple Syrup for body + depth, & Angostura Bitters on top.
I have a couple of Rhum JM swizzle sticks, but they weren’t long enough for this big Tiki mug. I opted to use my copper-plated Skull Barspoon from Cocktail Kingdom instead and it swirls really nicely. Yarrrrrrr, matey!
Big Mint sprig for big aromatics.
Don’t you love this mug? I like how serious he looks but then his moustache is so long and his lips so small!
- 2 1/2 oz Denizen Merchant’s Reserve 8 Year Rum/Rhum
- 1 oz Berentzen Peach Liqueur
- 1 barspoon St. Elizabeth Allspice Dram
- 1 1/2 oz Demerara Syrup 1:1
- 1 oz Lime Juice
- 1/2 oz Lemon Juice
- 3 dashes Bitter Truth Peach Bitters
- 5-6 Mint leaves
- Crushed ice
- Garnish: Mint sprig, Angostura Bitters, colorful swizzle stick
How to make the DP Swizzle:
- In the bottom of a large Tiki mug, add Mint leaves, Lime Juice, Lemon Juice, Demerara Syrup, and muddle.
- Add Rum, Peach Liqueur, Peach Bitters, Allspice Dram, crushed ice and *swizzle with a long Swizzle stick or long Barspoon.
- “Paint” the top of the ice with a few dashes of Angostura bitters, add Mint sprig and colorful swizzle stick.
*To swizzle: place the stick/barspoon between your hands and rub them back and forth rapidly so the stick/barspoon swirls the ingredients of your drink together and causes some dilution.
Swizzlin’. I’ll be swizzlin’ all day loooooong. Tiki Cheers to y’all!
Thanks to Berentzen for the tasty Peach Liqueur and bitters!