DrinkWire is Liquor.com’s showcase for the best articles, recipes and reviews from the web’s top writers and bloggers. In this post, Good Spirits News offers an inventive rum cocktail.
Looking for a fantastic tiki-style rum drink to chill with this summer? The Powderkeg will blow your socks off! Featuring three rums, Campari and bitters, this drink is an explosion in your mouth.
Crafted by Blair Frodelius (editor of Good Spirits News) as a tribute to the iconic Barrel O’ Rum served at the venerable Mai Kai restaurant in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, this drink hearkens back to the sultry and exotic days of 1950’s tiki culture. Make one this week and enjoy a trip to the tropics, no matter where you are!
- 1 ounce fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 ounce fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 ounce Campari
- 3/4 ounce Goya passion fruit cocktail
- 1/2 ounce rock candy syrup
- 2 ounces Montanya Platino Rum
- 1 1/4 ounces Montanya Oro Rum
- 3/4 ounce Cruzan Black Strap Rum
- 2 dashes Fee Brothers whiskey barrel aged bitters
- 1 ounce Orangina
Add all to barrel-shaped mug filled halfway with crushed ice. Top off with more crushed ice as needed and garnish with a straw and a lit candle (to represent a fuse).
Cocktail created by Blair Frodelius