October is the Month for Crazy CocktailsEdit Post
Contributed by on Oct 01, 2013
One reader loves this post.
Americans love to label each month as “National” something month and October is certainly no exception. In fact, it seems to be a great month for junk food lovers: October is National Pizza Month, National Popcorn Month and National Cookie Month. We obviously love the real versions of these foods, but finding cocktail versions is a lot more fun. Celebrate October with these three interesting foody cocktails:
Once upon a time, Las Vegas Weekly hosted a contest that challenged local mixologists to create a pizza cocktail that actually tasted like pizza in liquid form. The Wood-Fired Black Margarita Pizza Cocktail, a collaboration between bartender Steve Dorsey, Beam Global Spirits/Wine Master Mixologist Bobby “G” Gleason, and Rio Executive Chef Randy Sabastion, was crowned the ultimate winner. This one will be a challenge to make at home, but we had to include it because alcoholic liquid pizza is too awesome and ridiculous not to share.
- In a mixing glass, add 1 chopped garlic clove and muddle it. Add 2 fresh oregano sprigs, 2 fresh basil leaves, 2 oz. sundried tomatoes in oil and muddle again.
- Add 1/2 oz. Tres Generaciones Reposado tequila, 2 oz. tomato juice and 1.5 oz. Jim Beam Black Label infused with Italian sausage (click the above link to learn how to make the sausage-infused bourbon)
- Fill with ice and stir thoroughly.
- Strain the mixture into a hollowed out green bell pepper, which serves as your glass. Garnish with a breadstick that has a fresh buffalo mozzarella “balloon” filled with hickory wood smoke and basil-infused oil tied onto it. Poke the balloon so that it bursts open and releases the wood smoke and infused oil into the cocktail.
This Salted Caramel Popcorn Martini is a lot easier to make than the pizza cocktail, and it is wickedly awesome. Make sure your sweet tooth is in full gear before you mix up this concoction.
- In a mixing glass, muddle 1/4 part simple syrup and 5 caramel popcorn kernels that have been popped.
- Add 2 parts Effen salted caramel vodka and stir with ice.
- Strain into a chilled rocks glass over ice and garnish with a skewer of 3 popped caramel popcorn kernels.
We feel like chocolate chip cookies get too much attention these days, so we wanted to pay tribute to the oatmeal cookie. Oatmeal cookies are perfect for fall and the cinnamon flavor is a homerun.
- Add a scoop of ice to your cocktail shaker
- Add 1/8 cup Jagermeister, 1/8 cup butterscotch schnapps, 1/8 cup Bailey’s Irish Cream and 1/4 cup cream
- Shake the mixture up and strain into a glass of ice rimmed with cinnamon.
Get your drink on this October with these food inspired cocktails. Happy National Pizza-Popcorn-Cookie Month.