When I was much younger, I spent a lot of time diving. I would travel to islands and points south of Mexico known primarily for beautiful beaches, clear waters and unreliable postal service. I would order a Pina Colada at practically every bar I entered. These were occasionally good, but were usually less then amazing and primarily consisted of some white liquid along with an unknown rum – all whirred with ice and sticky sweet. I don’t remember ever ordering one in the US.
This cocktail, the Paradise Remembered, keeps the flavors of rum, coconut and pineapple, but I made it as a sour. I used Kalani Coconut Liqueur, Cruzan Dark Aged Rum, fresh pineapple juice and Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur. The result is much lighter than a Pina Colada. The flavors are coconut and rum with the pineapple completing the combination. The egg yolk contributes that silky mouth feel along with the appealingly luxurious, thick foam floating on top.
- 1 1/2 Oz. Kalani Coconut Liqueur
- 3/4 Oz. Cruzan Dark Aged Rum
- 1 oz. Fresh Pineapple Juice
- 1/2 Oz. Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur
- 1 egg yolk
- Chill a cocktail glass with ice and water
- Combine all ingredients in a shaker and shake without ice for 30 seconds
- Add Ice and shake until chilled 10 – 15 seconds
- Double strain into chilled cocktail glass.