The Southtown Swizzle is one of our contributions to Mixology Monday CVIII - Swizzles. You can read more about that here. This cocktail is named after San Antonio’s Southtown, which is an area just south of Downtown, the River Walk and the Alamo. It is home to historic neighborhoods, an up and coming arts district and a busy culinary scene. Located in Southtown is the Dorcol Distillery. There they produce an amazing rakia and, more recently, beer. They also have a bar from which they serve very innovative and delicious cocktails.
The Southtown Swizzle is all about Dorcol’s bone dry apricot Kinsman Rakia. The citrus, in this case orange and lime, brightens the party while the Chartreuse adds a touch of herbs. The Angostura finishes with a little complexity.
- 2 oz. Kinsman Rakia
- 1 oz. Orange juice
- 1 oz. Lime juice
- 1 oz. Simple Syrup
- 1/4 oz. Chartreuse
- Angostura Bitters
- Combine everything but the bitters in a Collins glass and add enough crushed or shaved ice to fill the glass 2/3’s
- Swizzle with a swizzle stick or spoon until the glass is frosted
- Add more ice to fill and continue swizzling until the drink is frothy and the glass is frosted or you get tired
- Garnish with several dashes of Angostura on top
- Sit back, chill out and enjoy.