|The patio at the Golden Gloves Social House. Photo by Jennifer McInnis/San Antonio Express-News (http://blog.mysanantonio.com/food/2014/04/brooklynite-owners-new-bar-opens-on-pearl-parkway/)|
About once a month, I will try to keep you abreast of happenings around Texas. If you are planning something cocktail, beer, or spirit related, and you want it featured in my Texas Cocktail News feature, just send it to me. Anything from news to menus to openings to special events. Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Texas beer accolades. Texas beer won some good stuff from the 2014 World Beer Cup. Congratulations, Saint Arnold! I agree: The Santo is the best in class.
- A new San Antonio bar. The guys from The Brooklynite, my favorite San Antonio bar, have opened another spot, the Golden Gloves Social House. I know where I will be heading on my next trip to San Antonio!
- A new drink menu. The W Hotel's Living Room bar in Austin has a new drink menu with the Strawberry Swing cocktail. Anything with a balsamic shrub has my vote!
- Specialty ice company. From bartender to businessmen, this is one way to turn your cocktail knowledge into something bigger. Theses two guys started an ice company supplying specialty ice to bars around San Antonio.
- Cocktail advice. Get advice on cocktail party planning from Dallas's Lucky Campbell. The advice: keep it simple. At least fairly simple.
- Be Brave. Bobby Heugel and Anvil's The Brave cocktail featured in Conde Nast Traveler. I've had it. It's worth it. Go. Now. And then, if you're not in Houston anymore, get the recipe and make one at home.
- A new brewery. A new brewery in Allen, TX, Nine Band Brewing Company. An awesome name, if you ask me. It's about those cute little guys you see dead on the side of I-10. Can't wait to see what this new brewery puts out. Texas beer, I will drink.
- A Houston tiki bar! I am very glad that Houston finally got a tiki bar, Lei Low on Main downtown. Looks like another trek downtown is in order.
- Beer distribution rights. Texas beer producers are no longer allowed to sell their distribution rights. In other words, once you sign with a company to distribute for you, you're stuck. Pretty much for life. But the distributor can sell their right to distribute to another distribution company! Weird Texas laws, people.
- The best Margaritas. Three Texas bars were named in Travel and Leisure's "America's Best Margaritas." There's the Pomegranate and Sloe Gin Frozen Margarita from Houston's The Pastry War. Or The Margarita La Condesa from Austin's La Condesa. And the Nuestra Margarita from the Esquire Tavern in San Antonio (which is a great bar, by the way!).
- Canadian bonus! The Score on Davie Pub in Vancouver has created the Checkmate Caesar Bloody Mary that has enough garnish to feed an entire family. A hamburger, a hot dog, a whole roasted chicken. Even a brownie. And it looks hilarious.