I originally intended to make a Kahlua based cocktail using the components of a White Russian; using ice cream in lieu of half and half and adding some ice cubes with a resulting Frozen White Russian. The problem with that? Just not feeling anything Russian right now although the name would be appropriate; it feels like the Cold War again! Is Putin Kruschev’s grandson or something? Anywho I decided to segue and wondered how Kahlua and Irish Whiskey would taste, in honor of two upcoming special days. One is obvious; I’m part Irish (just a bit from a grandfather on my mom’s side) and I do love Irish Whiskey so something for St Paddy’s Day is imperative.This year though we’ve got more to celebrate.
Thinking ahead and in honor of our moving our clocks the same direction, Kahlua has asked me to help celebrate National ‘Cocktail Your Coffee Day’ on Monday (#cocktailyourcoffee). Knowing we’ll all be a bit wearier as we navigate through the first day of Daylight Savings; we’re thinking your coffee needs a bit of Kahlua to celebrate this eventful day. Vodka was out, espresso was in and I’m telling you this is one great dessert cocktail (she says as she sits here sipping it this morning; please promise to ignore any typos!). Join us and let us know when you’ve taken a sip of your favorite coffee cocktail in an effort to thwart the effects of Daylight Savings!
Of course it can be as simple as just pouring a shot into a hot cup of coffee, but if you want some additional ideas on incorporating Kahlua with coffee, visit Kahlua’s website and consider an Espresso Martini or Café Con Leche Iced.
I’m not sure I will ever mix Kahlua and vodka with cream again; this was such a successful veering off the beaten path; I LOVE it. Richer and less biting with the Irish Liqueur instead of vodka; it’s truly a winner. I think good enough to plan twice. Have one on Monday and celebrate everything about the advent of spring, including days that will be warm enough to sit outdoors in the evening and sip a cool, icy cocktail. I can’t wait after this winter, how about you?
Still, make sure you bring it into rotation for St. Patrick’s Day too…what a great way to add some Irish Whiskey to a celebration; I just can not believe I’ve not done this before!
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Yield: 2 cocktails
- 2 cups ice
- 4 oz cold espresso coffee
- 2 oz Kahlua
- 1.5 oz Irish Whiskey
- 2 scoops vanilla ice cream
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth. Pour into chilled rocks glasses and garnish with cocoa nibs or shaved chocolate.
I was provided with a bottle of Kahlua for review however all opinions are my own.
- By: 15 St. Patrick's Day Irish Whiskey Recipes | Schmidt Bros. Blog by 15 St. Patrick's Day Irish Whiskey Recipes | Schmidt Bros. Blog
- We were uneven? I didn't drink enough? :) And thanks ... by Creative Culinary
- Dang, what a good idea! We're totally even on the whole ... by Jenni
- I actually had it for breakfast; how bad was I. No little kids ... by Creative Culinary
- That looks absolutely delicious! Many thanks for the share, I ... by Nespresso capsule varieties
- Plus 5 more...