The Minty’s Whiskey Week: Buffalo Trace, Elmer T. Lee, EH Taylor Four Grain, Blanton’s, Stagg Jr.Edit Post
Contributed by on Oct 05, 2018
Two readers love this post.
Stagg Jr. & EH Taylor Four Grain
It’s going to be Whiskey Week on The Minty next week. Here’s a sneak peek into my whiskey-flavored life!
The Pour List:
- Buffalo Trace
- Elmer T Lee
- EH Taylor Four Grain “2018 Release”
- Stagg Jr.
all the whiskey
I’ve loved Blanton’s since I first started drinking bourbon. I collect the horsie tops and am very close to completing a complete set spelling out B-L-A-N-T-O-N apostrophe S! I’m missing the N cap with the apostrophe and the S.
I could not really recall a time I’ve tried Stagg Jr. before. I know I’ve had EH Taylor but perhaps in a drink It was cool and fun to try these along with the Elmer T. Lee. I’ve been missing out by sticking only with Blanton’s and Buffalo Trace.
You may know bourbon is called bourbon when it is at least 51% corn– plus a few other rules that make it bourbon. It’s the same with rye. But have you ever wondered what the other 49% could be? They are other grains. The common ones are corn and wheat. So what’s the fourth grain in EH Taylor? Malted barley!
After learning it’s a very limited edition, now I wonder about the drink I had with EH Taylor. I’m drinking this neat (or with ice perhaps) in the future.
The club meeting started with a welcome cocktail that you got at the bar. This was a good way to get acquainted with the Yardbird space so you’re not just stuck in the private room. It’s a beautiful back bar with a couple of big screens ideal for watching games.
Buffalo Trace, Elmer T. Lee and Buffalo Trace White Dog
I’m also quite familiar with Buffalo Trace, my go-to every day mixing whiskey.
I am glad to have tried the white dog, aka the white whiskey before it goes into the barrel. White dog, white lightning and other names for new make, unaged whiskey have recently made a name for itself as we wait for the precious liquid to age. Some find this legal moonshine quite good. Others, will wait or pay a premium for older whiskey.
Personally I liked the Buffalo Trace one. True, I would not drink it all the time but I could see it working in a cocktail. How about a mint julep?
fried green tomato from Yardbird
We tried a few small bites from Yardbird including deviled eggs and fried green tomatoes topped with pork belly.
Buffalo Trace bourbon cream
As a special treat, we also tried the Buffalo Trace bourbon cream. Fans of Bailey’s will like a a nip of this in their coffee.
I love cheeky beverage napkins
I had a great time and I’ll be on the look out for Elmer T. Lee, Stagg Jr and of course, the EH Taylor. And I hope someone does a genealogy chart of all the old bourbon families soon so these names are more than just names on pretty bourbon bottles.
Yardbird at the Beverly Center
© 2018 The Minty